Consuming web service from JDE

Dennis

We are looking at alternatives to a BSSV consumer web service that a consultant developed for us. It is hard to maintain and troubleshoot. Can you provide any information on how your product may be able to assist?

Regards,

Dennis

Cool Calico

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dennis,

Calling web services from JDE is relatively easy in LynX. The high level steps are:

• Create a business process that calls the external web service. This is done in C#. Most web service provides will give you sample code for .NET/C#, you can just plug that here. The input for the business process is an XML document. The business process is invoked through a web service call - this is referred to as "Outbound Web Service" (OWS) in LynX lingo.
  • Call the business process from JDE: In an application or report, write ER code to:
    • Create the XML document
    • Call the OWS
    • Retrieve the output of the call
    • Query the output for output values and/or errors
We provide business functions for the sub-steps listed above, so you don't have to write C code for this.

Let us know if you need more information.

Dennis

Thanks for the suggestion, Ellen. We investigated that option. It is viable, but clunky in my opinion. In BSSV, you can freely exchange data between JDE calls (bsfn, table selects etc.) and the web service without having to go through a layer like groovy scripting. The error handling features are also not as robust as BSSV.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Calling web services from JDE is relatively easy in LynX. The high level steps are:

Is the "business process" you refer to equivalent to a BSSV object? Can you call business functions and select data from JDE tables in a business process?

Cool Calico

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dennis,

Is the "business process" you refer to equivalent to a BSSV object? Can you call business functions and select data from JDE tables in a business process?

Yes, a business process is similar to a BSSV object. Anything you can do in a BSSV can be done business process. You can:
  • Call business functions
  • Do Table I/O (Select, Insert, Update, Delete)
  • Media object calls
  • Call Reports
  • JDE Transaction control

Dennis

You can do Table insert, update and delete :unsure:? Which brings me to my next question: How does this product communicate with JDE? I assumed it was XML call object, but I know XML call object cannot do those functions.

Cool Calico

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dennis,

but I know XML call object cannot do those functions.
That is correct, but LynX Business Integrator does not use XML call object. It communicates internally with JDE directly through C-API. The business process, however is created in .NET/C#.